Prompt: Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, "Why?" or "How do you know?" Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?
Prompt Response: A time I gave an opinion when dealing with "Why" or How do you know?" is when I made a friendly argument that a McDonald's burger-and-fries meal is way better than a Five Guys burger-and-fries meal. First, I stated what I thought: the Five Guys burger-and-fries meal is way more expensive than a McDonald's one, and you never finish your meal at Five Guys, but at McDonald's you always finish your meal and feel full. I also stated how Five Guys burgers are way too messy and overwhelming, whereas McDonald's burgers are simple and sweet, making it a big reason why I like McDonald's over Five Guys for burger and fries. I also stated that Five Guys fries are very salty and burnt most of the time, but McDonald's fries are small, crispy, and delicious. I knew just explaining what I thought was not going to prove my point, so I gave evidence by showing food critics' reactions to McDonald's and Five Guys. I also found articles and videos on what makes a burger and fries considered good. Eventually, I brought most people to a general consensus that McDonald's burger-and-fries meal is better than Five Guys, but of course I didn't get everyone on board, which I respect because there are some aspects of Five Guys that I find better than McDonald's, but the overall point is that I made a good claim and got people on board with my opinion/claim being that McDonalds burgers-and-fries meal is better than Five Guys.
Summary: Today in class we watched videos on O.J. Simpson's murder trial case and learned about how to explain evidence and give proof. We also read a non-fiction short story on a retired soldier explaining the tragic case of how he ended someone's life in Vietnam and how it haunts him to this day, on the different outcomes, and on what he did that morning in the brush. He also explained how he knew his 9-year-old daughter would not be ready for him to answer that question that she asked him, so he would wait until she is older and more mature to handle a conversation like that.
Reflection: Learning how to argue and give evidence is crucial for future assignments, tests, and quizzes in any class. This will benefit me big time in giving arguments not just in school but outside of school as well, like clubs and sporting events such as ultimate frisbee and tennis.
Comments
Post a Comment